Like thousands of bad headline writers before me, I’ll go ahead and indulge my corniest instincts: Blame it on Rio.
Earlier today, Rio de Janiero emerged as the victor in the heated competition to play host for the 2016 Olympic Games. Madrid and Tokyo finished second and third. And Chicago – thought to be one of the favorites coming into the day – finished last.
But there remains lots to love about Chi-Town: the skyline, the deep-dish pizza, the history, the Obamas and, of course, the music.
So we here at PostBourgie saw fit to honor the great musical tradition of the City of Big Shoulders on a day when the disappointment seems to be weighing pretty heavy this afternoon:
1. Chicago by Sufjan Stevens (Slb)
2. Dennehy by Serengeti (Shani-o)
3. Flipside by Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (Quadmoniker)
4. The Final Tic by Crucial Conflict (Brokey)
5. Brand New by Rhymefest featuring Kanye West (Blackink)
6. If You Leave Me Now by Chicago (Shani-o)
9. Via Chicago by Wilco (Shani-o)
10. Po Pimp by Do or Die featuring Twista (Blackink)
As always, please feel free to make your own suggestions. Just off top, I know we’re missing contributions from Muddy Waters, Herbie Hancock, almost anyone who’s ever recorded house music, R. Kelly and, er, Lupe Fiasco.
There’s no denying Chicago’s rich musical history. But in the end, it’s hard to compete with this.
At least they’ve got the Cubs.