On this week’s ep, Joel, Jamelle and G.D. are joined by Slate’s Aisha Harris and Prof. Sarah Jackson of Northeastern University to discuss Quentin Tarantino’s messy, subversive, confounding slavery revenge flick, Django Unchained.
(Do we even have to mention that there are going to be mad spoilers?)
- Jelani Cobb wasn’t feeling it.
- Aisha places it in the tradition of other blaxploitation westerns. (Plus: Aisha fact-checks Mandingo fighting.)
- Jamelle thinks it’s a corrective to films like Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind.
- Random Midday Hotness: ‘Cups’ x ‘Monster’ - July 16, 2014
- Random Midday Hotness: On A Day Like Today. - July 11, 2014
- When Afrocentric Art Goes [Right]: Tim Howard Enters the Pantheon. - July 1, 2014