- As always seems to be the case, HBCUs are facing an existential crisis. Fisk University, like a bunch of other HBCUs, is in dire straits. The school is trying to sell its collection of Georgia O’Keefe art to stay afloat, and in 2004, the school was so far behind on its utility payments that its heat was shut off. A local Nashville church stepped in over the weekend and gave the school $10,000, but the university still faces a shutdown next month. Florida A&M, which as recently as the 1990s was garnering all kinds of high praise, was recently placed on probation (PDF) by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is in danger of losing its accreditation. Other small HBCUs are facing dilemmas of a non-pecuniary nature; a journalist and former professor at tiny Stillman College wonders if that troubled institution is even worth saving.
- The Los Angeles Police Department is planning on making a map of where all the city’s Muslims live. They’re trying to defend themselves from the understandable suspicion of their motives, but the idea would probably go over poorly even this wasn’t, you know, the LAPD.
- Obama, once again, manages to set the crowds who come to see him speak on fire and bore anyone watching him on TV at home to tears. Nonetheless, younger white people love them some Obama, according to the WSJ. Black voters remain unconvinced, but Michelle Obama says they’ll “wake up”. (I can’t find the video of the interview, but it was on MSNBC’s site yesterday).
- Some folks are worried that newly discovered genetic differences amongst people of different ethnic backgrounds will bolster ideas about racial inferiority in I.Q. and the like.
- The New York Times: All the trend news that’s fit to print…laughably late.
- Rowdy Black Youths Need Behavior Overhaul. That’s an actual column in an actual newspaper.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by G.D. (see all)
- Random Midday Hotness: This Is A DOPE Snake! - December 23, 2014
- Random Midday Hotness: Christopher Wallace X Sarah Koenig. - December 22, 2014
- Random Midday Hotness: What Did The Black Man Say? - December 17, 2014